Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Auto Menace

Hey dudes and dudettes,
This blog is in tribute to all those Auto-drivers who live to transform the most easy-going, quiet individuals into raging, bickering passengers. All through my industrial training in Bangalore I ranted about the high rates they charged, but Bangalore's breed pales in comparison to Delhi's tribe of Auto-Rickshaw drivers. At least the Bangalore clan has meters, and most of the drivers abide by them, but come to Delhi and you'll find the drivers charging any amount they wish. Haggling for ten minutes makes them decrease the fare by 10-20 rupees which is hardly any compensation to your pocket. Then to top it all they have such rude language and absolutely no respect for passengers. I have had two bad experiences with these U.P. autowallahs: one charged 130 rupees where it should have cost just 80, and after driving some distance tells us "Auto dheere hi chalegi... kuchh pareshani toh nahi hai na" it drove me clean mad but we were running late and the auto didn't seem to be too slow so we went on, but with distance the auto slowed down to such an extent a bullock-cart overtook us at a point. I gave the driver a long sermon on honesty but he just kept smiling stupidly, then I gave him just 100 rupees(he still made a profit!) and he stood yelling and cursing at our backs.
The other was when we came back from the Ghaziabad RTO where we had gone to get my learner's license made. The driver overcharged, but that's something all auto-drivers do, this one was more insane than is usual among the tribe, he slept off while driving and when shaken awake said, "Kya aapatti hai? door door tak tirafeek nahi hai.. sone do" . Then he stopped at the main road and wouldn't take us to our society which is only a little way inside. When my mother asked him to drop us at the society he looked out of the corner of his eyes and in a most sarcastic tone said, "Madam tumhara dimag kharab hai". There he crossed the limit. My father stood ready to slap him and I pretended trying to pull my shoes off to beat him. That unnerved him and he apologised. ("Munh se fisal gaya bhaiya...").

People who know me are probably laughing their heads off at the thought of Vasudha beating somebody, even scolding somebody... but these mindless autowallahs have managed making me that angry. Its not something I am very proud of, I have managed to hold my temper through four years of college when some people gave me great temptation to lose it, but here, the autowallah finally got the better of me. But now that I have gotten angry enough to write a post on it, I want to put it to good use. Its high time we did something about the auto menace... I have thought of putting up posters in socities and malls informing people of the actual fare that should be charged and what they are being charged and encouraging them to sign, probably these signatures could be taken up to the DM or whichever person is involved (I have a very rough idea... only the poster part clear right now). The problem is not restricted to U.P. only... I went to Orissa recently and the autos there didn;t go by the meter too... this is a widespread problem so we could create FaceBook community or setup a website against such miscreants.... do you people have any ideas on how to bring auto-drivers to book? do let me know....

8 comments:

  1. Hey.. chill maadi! :D plz add chennai and goa also to the auto menace places. In chennai the auto guy charged 200 bucks for about 8 km. I had to take it as my mum was feeling sick after the bus journey. I tot i ws overcharged as i was a new to the place n didnt knw the language. But hey i got overcharged in Goa too!

    The only good thing about autos is dat i need their services once in a blue moon. I pity the more regular users!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Daniel: i have braces on in this pic... see closely, you'll notice.. :D :D
    okay.. goa chennai added to the list..if i get a good enough idea to make auto drivers toe the line, these cities get a dose of it too. Btw u r free now right... think up some dry jokes on autowallahs that i cn put on the posters..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. u still look gr8.. braces or no braces.. :D
    dry jokes cant be thought of.. they r supposed 2 b spontaneous!! get ur concepts clear! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mumbai \m/ Mumbai \m/ Mumbai \m/ most professional auto vallas ever in the world. They even return 1 rupee when you give them 10 rs and fare is 9. BTW while I was in Delhi. I befriended the local auto assoc president and soon the whole local auto assoc knew me and used to take from east delhi to south Delhi in 100 rs flat ... no meter, no haggling. But then its me.

    On a serious note. The problem too lies with delhi gov. With increase in CNg prices the prices of fare doesnt increase in the same way. Inflation does. Also CNG auto's cost more than the petrol one. So auto wallas charge more. Totally agree with delhi auto vallas being rude. But its fun to listen to when they fight. Rustic haryanvi at its best :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nimit
    Please introduce me to the auto assoc prez too!
    You know,i doubt the delhi govt has fixed any price at all... for the autos here go without meter.. thats the whole problem. even if they fix their meters somehow, they can't fleece us the way they do now.
    leave rude.. how may autowallahs do you come across that doze off while driving... i seem to run into the worst of the lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nowadays this is becoming a part of Indian lifestyle and people are trying to become tolerant towards these auto-drivers than correcting them which actually inundates the problem instead of solving it. I am interested in standing against it from Netherlands and I will e-mail you once I get some good slogans in mind. One interesting thing, in my university TUDelft they are researching on an efficient design for these Indian autos such that it can carry more people with less fuel consumption. But still who can change the auto-driver's attitude. Giving ideas to the government is the only possible way. All auto-drivers must get training from Mumbai and Kerala.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Sriram:
    yoyoyoyoyo!!! you rock bro!
    the research thing is gr8 too... do think out slogans, it wil be gr8 to hv ur help.

    ReplyDelete