Monday, July 13, 2009

Enchanted by Pop-Biscuits


Up and up the Faraway Tree they went,

wondering what folk lived behing those little windows...

They knocked at a little round door and the loveliest little elf answered.

"You look hot and tired..." she said,

" come and have some pop biscuits, I've just finished baking them".
The Enchanted Wood, and more particularly the giant Faraway Tree, whose top touches lands such as the land of presents and the land of parties, is every child's dream woven into words. Whenever I sat down to read this memorable book, I saw to it that I had something to eat... for how are you supposed to survive those hunger-pangs when you read about the mouth-watering Google-Buns and Pop-Biscuits that Silky the elf bakes or the Toffee-Shocks and hundred different kinds of jams that Moon-Face keeps?

Pop-Biscuits appeared to me the most delicious eatables of all time, what with the honey filling your mouth as soon as you bit into them. I was pretty crazy about the Enchanted Wood as a child and even pretended that the discarded steel shelf in my room was the Faraway Tree. I used to put my sister on the top-shelf and pretend she was Silky, busily baking Pop-Biscuits for her friends (that was me and a host of imaginary people). I would lazily climb the tree, shelf by shelf, picking up an imaginary apple from this branch, a cherry from the other, chatting up Moon-Face and the Saucepan-Man, who lived a shelf below Silky, and finally reach Silky's house where we would gorge on the pop-biscuits.





The Saucepan Man with his saucepans

These biscuits were such a fascination with me, I even put them on the menu when we played Restaurant (yeah, you read that right). When my sister royally walked in and ordered Pop-Biscuits, she would be served Brittania biscuits with honey poured over them. People planning to visit me don't need to be worried, my Restaurant doesn't serve such Pop-Biscuits anymore. But although I grew up, the Enchanted Wood never faded from my memory.

In college I had an amazing time discussing books, right from Atlas Shrugged to the Alchemist with my friend Megha. We never discussed Enchanted Wood and Pop-Biscuits somehow, but they came back in our lives in a most amazing fashion. My friend Daniel, who is also my senior in college, happened to bring me Eclairs on one of his visits. I had never eaten Eclairs before, so I just thought they were regular cookies. I gave some to perenially hungry Megha and went off to do some work. Late at night, hunger struck and I remembered the eclairs and brought them out. I bit into one, and I thought for a moment that honey flew into my mouth. I looked at the cookie in surprise and realised it was filled with cream, not honey. But it was a pleasant surprise all the same, to taste something that really could be my beloved Pop-Biscuits. I rushed to Megha's room and asked, "Megha, woh cookies khaye?"

She was all excitement too, " Haan haan, woh ekdum Silky wale biscuits jaise the na?"



Eclairs-nee-Pop Biscuits


We stared at each other. It was like discovering my friend all over again. She had read the Enchanted Wood too! She knew about Pop-Biscuits!! We were soon talking away like crazy, analysing the Angry Pixie and Mr. Watzisname and laughing over Dame Washalot and imagining what fun life would be if we could be Joe or Bessie or Fanny, munching away at our Pop-Biscuits all the while. I'll remember that episode forever as one of the sweetest of my life, what with my dream of eating pop-biscuits coming true and sharing that experience with one of my dearest friends.

Me(left) and Megha

P.S. This post would be incomplete without a hundred thanks to Daniel, who made our trip down memory-lane possible. :)

10 comments:

  1. yayyy!! a million thanks to Daniel bhaiya...i dont think he would realise what eclairs do for us...maybe now he'd put in a good word for us with his mom :P for another batch of eclairs...
    (damn i have been trying for a week now to not think about good food)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mujhe bhi khaana hai all those delicacies. Aur vas, this is not done, mera photo nahin daala tumhaare saath. Now I will have to kill you for this and then your blog name will become "There was once a Vasudha" instead of "Thus wrote Vasudha" :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i am happy 2 hv contributed 2 vasudha's sweetest memory.. n i'll be happy 2 get u guys more eclairs if u come 2 goa again.. btw ws intriguing 2 read wat games little gals play.. will try 2 get a copy of the enchanted wood n them maybe play restaurant wid my brothers! :D

    PS: dats nt a pic of the eclairs..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Daniel: it is too!!! (You didn't need to point out the faux-pas in public domain :X)
    play resaturant with ur brothers..lol... they'll play asylum with u instead :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. er jus wanted 2 get the facts clear.. bout the eclairs pic.. dont tk it 2 ur heart.. or ur tammy rather.. :D
    n plz send the rule book of restaurant game.. maybe i can change the rules a bit 2 suit my brothers' taste..

    ReplyDelete
  6. grr!!
    no rules to Restaurant game.. u let your imagination run free...u just need a chair and a table(the rest of the furniture can be imaginary)and cook up a menu(unheard of dishes.. or complicated dishes u kno u'll never be able to cook, for most of the dishes are gonna be imaginary cooked by imaginary chefs), then get ur brothers to act as customers.. and serve them(real food if it is cook-able, or imaginary again). As u see, imagination is going to be your biggest aid.. :P :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. you really did 'dish out' your restaraunt rule book in the comment! lol :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm.. looks like i can imagine the customers too.. so time fr some serious day dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Little Vaishnavi as Silky elf .... She wud suit very well ... we need just some big ears...

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey...even i read those Faraway Tree books..my fav among all the Enid Blytons.... nice to see that someone shares my love for them....

    ReplyDelete